Pages

Monday, March 4

Living in the Moment

For as long as I can remember, I've always been thinking about next week, next month, next year, sometime in the distant future. Jonathan is the same way, so much of our free time is spent dreaming and scheming about the future and what we want our life to look like. We also spend a lot of time talking about weekends, holidays and vacations. Based on the number of "dreaming of the beach" posts shared on this blog, I'm sure you'll agree with me. We're often thinking of another place and another time.

On Saturday, I was scrolling through Instagram, and I saw a post from a dear friend in California. For a moment, I really wanted to be in California, enjoying the 80-degree weather at the beach. Instead I was home alone (with the pets) in Memphis. It was REALLY cold (for Memphis), and flurries were falling for the first time since Christmas Day. Usually I'd be one to stay inside where it's warm, but it occurred to me that this might be our only "snow day" of the year so maybe Porter and I should play in it. Since it was light flurries, I decided a walk was the best way to enjoy the "snow." Porter seemed to agree with me, so off we went. Needless to say, no one else was walking and the people who passed us in cars gave us funny looks. 

Despite the frigid temperatures (for Memphis) and odd looks, we walked a long way and really enjoyed the moment together. While we were walking, I realized that if I had been in California at that moment, I would have been sad I missed the "snow day." I also would have been pining away for our pets like I always do when I'm out there. I didn't feel sorry for myself because Jonathan wasn't with me or that I wasn't at the beach -- I just enjoyed the moment as it was. When Porter and I returned home from our walk, we sat on the deck watching the snow flakes fall for a while. It was lovely.

 Although they didn't stick, the flakes were big enough that I was actually able to make out the snowflake shapes.


Porter's official "snow day" photo.


Snow makes us playful.


Another shot of the big flakes. So cool.


All energy.


 Okay Mom, I'm ready to go inside now.


Ollie came out to join us for a while. 



I'm going to work really hard to continue the mindset I had on Saturday. Today it was already 60 degrees by 10 a.m., so we worked outside on the deck. 




Oliver was the only one who was not pleased by this arrangement.


He joined us after lunch...until the crazy-high winds made the umbrella fall over. 
After that, he was ready to go inside. 



 Lunch for two?


Oliver's favorite place...my lap. He is always happy in the moment.


How do you stay in the moment? 

UPDATE: Speaking of living in the moment, I just realized that Jonathan bought our house five years ago today. We moved our furniture in the next weekend, and it snowed. A year later, it snowed again. A year after that, I wrote this post. It's so funny to go back and read it again. I sound like such a baby
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! It's making my day just a little bit brighter. :)