Pages

Wednesday, June 15

V-Dub Love

A few weeks ago Jonathan spotted a 1973 VW Bus on Craig's List for $1,500. He sent me the link with the question, "Should we buy it?" Here's the thing: we've never had a conversation about purchasing a vintage hippie bus. But both of us love old VWs. We point them out on the road, and I've wanted one since long before I could drive. Jonathan's dad drove a Beetle for years, and both of my parents had Golfs in England. So we seriously considered it...to the point that he went to see the thing and had multiple phone conversations with the owner about it. Then we went to Nashville, and the idea went away. We're fickle like that sometimes. Fast forward to yesterday at 4:45 p.m. Another email came through from my husband about a Craig's List VW. This time, though, it was about a 1972 Super Beetle. The location said Millington. The listing said the owner was moving and needed it gone by Thursday otherwise he was going to send it to be crushed. Jonathan's email said, "Should we save the little Bug?" Why not? On an end-of-the-workday whim, we drove an hour past Millington. We road tripped past Munford and several other small towns to a very rural area called Burlison. We drove all that way to see a tired old Beetle with hand-painted smiley faces and peace signs covering its body. Love is all it needs, and for some reason, we felt compelled to save it from the crusher. We bought it for $400. Tonight Jonathan and his dad drove back to Burlison with a wrecker to rescue our first vintage project car. We are the proud owners of a 1972 Super Beetle. It'll take lots of time and effort to make it a beauty, but I know it will be just that before we're through with it. Today we own one of the most beloved cars in the history of automobiles. It barely runs, and even if it did, I don't know how to drive it. Plus it has eyelashes!! It will run. I will learn how to drive it. The eyelashes will be replaced by new paint. We're crazy, but we don't care. We're super excited.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Crystel!! Y'all will have so much fun. Cars are our hobby and my 71 Super Beetle is my pride and joy. I wanna see progress pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I love your Beetle posts, and I look forward to the day when our Bug is as cute as yours! I promise to post progress pictures...lots of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this post? Super cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! It's making my day just a little bit brighter. :)