Pages

Monday, May 16

Dream a Dream of You, California

I'd like to rest my heavy head tonight On a bed of California stars I'd like to lay my weary bones tonight On a bed of California stars

I'd love to feel Your hand touching mine And tell me why I must keep working on

Yes I'd give my life To lay my head tonight on a bed of California stars

I'd like to dream My troubles all away On a bed of California stars

Jump up from my starbed Make another day Underneath my California stars They hang like grapes On vines that shine And warm the lovers' glass Like friendly wine So I'd give this world Just to dream a dream with you On our bed of California stars

I'd like to rest my heavy head tonight On a bed of California stars I'd like to lay my weary bones tonight On a bed of California stars

I'd love to feel Your hand touching mine And tell me why I must keep working on

Yes I'd give my life To lay my head tonight on a bed of California stars

I'd like to dream My troubles all away On a bed of California stars

Jump up from my starbed Make another day Underneath my California stars

They hang like grapes On vines that shine And warm the lovers' glass Like friendly wine

So I'd give this world Just to dream a dream with you On our bed of California stars

So I'd give this world Just to dream a dream with you On our bed of California stars

by Wilco Club Videos via You Tube

It's in my blood. Despite my best efforts, I find myself drawn to it again and again. I go, and I return home feeling the need to go there again. As time passes, the feeling only gets stronger and more urgent. My heart is there. It's my history. Everyone I love has been drawn there. My great-grandmother moved there in the late '50s from her family home of Ohio, and my grandma followed from Alaska with my mom in 1960. My dad, raised in Naples, Italy, chose Whittier College for his degree. He spent the late '60s only a short 30-minute drive from where my grandma and grandpa would build their dream home in 1974. That home is the very one that I have called my second home for nearly 28 years. It's the one place I can go, and my troubles feel as though they're far away. When I walk down that stretch of sand between Manhattan and Palos Verdes, I feel completely at peace. My great-grandmother, grandma, great aunt and my mother all lived in Southern California, and my great-great-grandmother even visited there. It has such historical significance for my family, but strangely enough, I never really made all these connections until my last trip in April, when we were going through ancient boxes of projector slides, all from their time in California in the '60s. No wonder I love it so. It's in my genes. My heart is in California. It's truly in my blood, in my soul.

Fortunately, Jonathan understands my urgent need to be there, and he lets me live that dream over and over again. Thank you, my love, for allowing me that dream. Thank you for sharing it and understanding why I love it so much.

This song, recorded by Wilco and Billy Bragg, was written by Woody Gurthie. You can read about Woody's sad story here. If there was ever a song that sums up my family's connection to this state, it is "California Stars." It makes me cry almost every time I listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! It's making my day just a little bit brighter. :)