Pages

Wednesday, January 12

Reflections and A Fresh Start

Wow, it's crazy to think we're already halfway through January. I'm not sure where the time has gone.

It's been a while since I did a goal update. After rereading these, I'm pleased and a little surprised to see how many I accomplished in 2010.

Here goes:

1. Eat more home-cooked meals. Jonathan and I did a great job of this in 2010. We tried some new recipes, and we ate lots of our favorites. 2010 marked our exploration of all things vegan, as well as our discovery of several farmers' markets. At the end of it all, I decided to stick to a vegetarian diet with a very limited intake of eggs and cow's milk. Cheese is still my dairy weakness and the main reason I can't be a full-time vegan. I do love veggie burgers, veggie sausage, rice milk and egg substitute. I really like them better than their "normal" counterparts. Go figure. But when I'm in a restaurant, I don't worry about whether or not I've eaten eggs or cow's milk. I just don't have the heart to micromanage that area of my life, but I have made some changes at home, and I'm really happy with them.

2. Visit the local farmer's market. We did great on this one! From April until October 31st, we went to at least one farmers' market every week. We bought so many great veggies and fruits, and we discovered a great way to spend our Saturday mornings. We're looking forward to going back again in April. The grocery store just doesn't cut it.

3. Spend more time exercising my mind, body and spirit. We did well on the exercise part (except from Christmas until today), but we still have a way to go on the other two. I could give many excuses, but it's just been hard to establish a true weekend routine the last few years. This will top my 2011 list for sure.

4. Learn Italian. I did really well on this one in the months leading up to our Italian trip, but I have let my Italian lessons slide since September. This is also on my 2011 list.

5. Visit England, Italy and California. Again, yay us! We went to Italy in August and California in December. England was a no-go, but we went to Chicago in February instead. Two out of three aint bad!

6. Nurture my rose garden every day. Well, not every day, but many days. This one is on the list for next weekend (once the four inches of snow are out of the way), because January is pruning season. I can't believe my pretty roses will be coming alive in only a few more months....I have lots of work to do!

7. Learn to knit and embroider. One of my coworkers tried to get a bunch of us to take some knitting classes in December, but my schedule was too hectic. I did do a lot of sewing in 2010, and I got a sewing machine for Christmas! Looks like the craftiness will continue in 2011!

8. Blog at least twice a week and work on my photography skills. I'm proud of my blogging efforts in 2010, but I really want to improve the blog in 2011. Photography is a huge part of that. I love my camera, but I really need to learn more about it. I know I haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to that thing.

9. Buy bicycles and ride them! Soooo, we did this, and then the weather turned cold. Right now my pretty beach cruiser is dreaming of California beaches and wondering why it was shipped to Memphis. Poor, poor thing. Will do better in 2011.

10. Write, create, dream, do and celebrate the little things every day. In 2010, I did some writing (mostly blog-related), did some creating (which was posted on the blog), did some dreaming (some of which was shared here) and lots of doing....The doing trumps the celebrating most days, so I still need to work on that, but I feel like I started moving in the right direction in 2010.

Okay, so that was my 10 in 2010. I'm going to think about this a bit, and then I'll be back with my 2011 goals. There may or may not be 11 of them. :)

1 comment:

  1. can't wait to see your output from the new sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! It's making my day just a little bit brighter. :)