Pages

Wednesday, July 14

Contemplating Veggie

For a while now, I've considered making the leap to full-time vegetarian. It wouldn't be the first time I've been a vegetarian. Growing up in England, we swore off most meat because of raging mad-cow disease. I got used to a life without hamburgers, although we did continue to eat a little chicken and fish.
I'm currently in the process of reading Alicia Silverstone's A Kind Diet. Veganism is something that I never considered, because I love cheese. A LOT.
In reading Alicia's book, I've begun to realize why I love cheese. It's highly addictive, and to me, that's just plain gross. I can deal with so many things, but addiction is something that not only grosses me out but just plain frightens me.
So can I go Vegan? I'm considering it on some scale. Alicia is on a hard-core Macrobiotic diet (meaning she eats a full-time plant-based diet, locally grown food, and very little processed food). I don't think I could ever be that way, but I am interested in seeing where a stricter plant-based diet takes me.
I know how I feel when I eat BBQ after a week of salads, grains and fruit. That feeling isn't a good one. Apparently if you eliminate dairy and white sugar from your diet, you can feel even better.
I'm interested in giving it a try. I'm not some crazy New-Age follower, just someone who wants to feel their very best each and every day. I want to be able to run faster and think more clearly. If my diet is keeping me from my full potential, then I want to make some adjustments.
I've been 90 percent vegetarian for my entire life, so this isn't a big leap for me. However, it will require some extra effort, and it will mean making some sacrifices.
On a positive note, it'll also mean I can try new recipes, and I'm always game for that.
Remember my Julie and Julia blog post? I still plan to try some of those dishes, but I want to make them healthier. According to Alicia, she loves French food. It's just about finding the meat and dairy-free options. For me, that also means avoiding too much soy, since I'm slightly allergic.
I'm going to try a Vegan diet for a few weeks to see where it takes me. At the end of my self-imposed deadline, I will reevaluate my diet. Something tells me I won't ever give up dairy entirely, but I am trying to keep an open mind. This is all part of the journey, right?
I will keep you posted.
For more about The Kind Diet, you can visit Alicia's web site here.

2 comments:

  1. We eat similarly to you -- quite a bit vegetarian. I have a friend who has been vegan for probably 20 years and is raising her son vegan (and pregnant again!). Her reasoning is more ethical, but I can definitely see the pull re: health. They also live in Brooklyn so they have many, many dining options at their fingertips. I can't get Adelaide to eat much protein, so cheese and milk it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been an animal lover, so the ethical reasoning has also been on my mind. And although I never really gave it much thought before, the environmental impact is also huge as well. It's been good so far, so we'll see! It helps when you live in or near a big city. I don't think I could do this without access to Whole Foods! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! It's making my day just a little bit brighter. :)