Pages

Thursday, March 25

Fashion Inspiration: Coco Chanel

She brought us the little black dress, the tweed suit, the quilted shoulder bag, the piled-on pearls and of course, those iconic interlocking CCs. Until I married my husband, my initials were "CC," so I have a special place in my heart for them. I also have a place in my heart for all of Chanel's other creations, including the timeless Chanel No. 5. I wear it whenever I want to feel like a lady.
I was in college during The O.C.-era, and I was crazy about all of the Chanel clothes and accessories that Mischa Barton's character wore on the show. Although Chanel clothes and jewelry were totally out of my league, I did start wearing No. 5, tons of pearl necklaces and bracelets, and the occasional tweed mini skirt (mine was Guess). I also had a camellia ring from Banana Republic that seemed very Chanel-like to me.
My favorite Chanel moment on The O.C.? Marissa's prom dress (the prom dress she wore the night her character was killed off - how depressing!). I was so in love with it that I actually cut it out of a Vogue feature from Spring 2006. It would have made one heck of a wedding dress! :) A cool fact about that dress: in Spring 2006, there were only two available in the U.S. and six others for sale around the world! Wow.
Another favorite? All of the fabulous Chanel bags that Marissa and Summer wore! The quilted 2.55 bag (named for its launch date) is my dream designer purse...Sigh. I've read that Rachel Bilson (aka Summer Roberts) had quite a fabulous collection of vintage Chanel purses that were stolen several years ago. How tragic.
Without a doubt, Chanel was a trailblazer and a true fashion icon who has inspired generations of women the world over.
On my movie list? Coco Before Chanel starring Audrey Tautou. I'd also like to read a biography about her. Not sure which one though - there are several!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! It's making my day just a little bit brighter. :)