Pages

Tuesday, March 16

Chicagoland!

Oh my goodness, what a crazy week! Jonathan and I were in Chicago last week, and we have been playing catch up since we got back on Sunday. To make things a bit more complicated, I think our cat has ringworm. He first got it seven years ago, and it looks like it's making a comeback. I was really calm about it at first, but now I'm starting to freak out because it's really contagious (humans and dogs can both get it), and he's such a lap cat. He literally wants to be sitting on top of me at all times. We won't know until next week whether it's ringworm or not, so I'm going to be cleaning like mad in the meantime. All of the stress is making me itch. I feel like I have fleas! Ugh. :(
On a happier note, our first trip to Chicago was a fun one. I hope to post some photos of my purchases tomorrow - I was too busy cleaning tonight that I ran out of daylight....
Here are a few must-sees from our trip:
Store B - 1472 N. Milwaukee Avenue Chicago, IL 60642 - This store was filled with beautiful vintage clothes, purses and home furnishings. Even if you don't buy anything, it's worth going just to see all of the pretty things. Everything is in tip-top condition, and it's all from the '40s, '50s and '60s. I purchased a mint-condition Better Homes and Gardens New Garden Book from the '60s for $24. I really wanted several of their alligator purses, but they were super pricey!
The Painted Lady - 2130 N. Damen Chicago, IL 60647 - Oh my goodness, I loved this store so much. Everything was so pretty, white and covered in ruffles. I saw tons of things that I would have gladly brought home with me if I had an unlimited budget and free shipping. I did end up buying a white eyelet bed skirt for $25. After a visit to The Painted Lady, I'm feeling inspired to buy a flea market mirror and paint/distress it. They have a website if you want to bask in some prettiness! :)
P.O.S.H. - This store is actually downtown Chicago (the first two were in Wicker Park and Bucktown respectively). Jonathan and I stumbled across it on our first day in the city, and after doing iPhone research throughout the rest of the trip, I learned it is one of the best shops for pretty European-inspired finds. We brought home two vintage-looking maps - one of Rome and one of London for $5 each! They have a great website, so you should definitely check it out!
The Art Institute of Chicago - 111 S. Michigan Avenue Chicago, IL 60603 - Wow. I spent an entire day here with an old friend, who moved to Chicago two years ago. There were so many great works to see! It was truly incredible, like reading my college art history book. My personal favorites were by Monet, Degas and Tiffany. I actually walked back to the Monets three different times. They were truly unbelievable. I think I could look at them every day....
Gino's East - 633 N. Wells Street Chicago, IL 60610 - We ate Chicago-style deep-dish pizza several times, but Gino's was my favorite. The pizza didn't have too much cheese, and the crust was really flaky and delicious. Yummy.
La Fonda Del Gusto - 1408 N. Milwaukee Chicago, IL 60642 - One complaint I had about Chicago - there were not enough Mexican restaurants (until we discovered this one in Wicker Park). The staff was really nice, and the food was really fresh and served in smaller portions, which was nice. I also had my first Paloma - a drink with tequila and grapefruit juice. It's similar to a margarita, but it's a little bit sweeter. We'll be making some of our own this summer. :)
I wish my list was longer, but the combination of wet weather and not enough time meant that we didn't get to see everything on our list. We did spend some quality time at Trader Joe's and Anthropologie (naturally!), and I'm happy to say that both of those stores are outstanding in Chicago!
I'm looking forward to visiting Chicago again someday to hopefully check out some of their antique markets.
What are your favorite Chicago spots?

1 comment:

  1. My guess is you just weren't in the "right" neighborhoods for Mexican foods. There are Mexican diners all over near where I used to live (west of Bucktown) and they serve fantastic, quick, authentic food! Glad you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! It's making my day just a little bit brighter. :)