Pages

Monday, February 15

Things I Love - Post Valentine's Day

Lovely Hair. Lovely Makeup.
Lovely Weather.
My Love!
January 2004 - A few weeks before our first Valentine's Day. Ignore the bad hair - we were in college and didn't get home for haircuts every often... :)
I hope everyone had a lovely Valentine's weekend. Mine was a weekend filled with love and some lovely things. Here are a few of those...
1. Jazz - In my opinion, this is the best music for a date-night-at-home or a evening of relaxation with a book and a bottle of wine. Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk are the masters. A few of my absolute favorites? John Coltrane's Ballads and Blue Train. My husband discovered jazz music during our last year in college, and I bought him several jazz CDs for Valentine's Day that year. For that reason, we especially like listening to jazz on date nights. We fell in love to this stuff...you will too, I promise! It's beautiful. :)
2. Chocolate Chip Cookies - Homemade, of course! Here's my recipe, which was adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. This is a great cookbook. If you don't have it, I highly recommend it!
-One cup of butter, softened -One cup of packed brown sugar
-Half cup of granulated sugar
-3/4 teaspoon of baking soda -1/2 teaspoon of salt -Two eggs
-Two and a half cups of all purpose flour (I used one and a half cups of white flour and one cup of wheat flour because I ran out. I couldn't tell the difference!)
-12 ounces of chocolate (I bought two blocks of chocolate - one white and one dark - and chopped them up myself - much better texture than morsels!)
1. Preheat oven to 375. Beat butter until smooth (you can use an electric mixer if you want. I used a whisk). Add brown and granulated sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of the bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in the flour, adding a little at a time. Stir in the chocolate.
2. Spoon dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. I always make my spoonfuls too big, and then my cookies grow into each other. They are softer that way, but they aren't pretty looking. If you want pretty cookies, make sure to use a teaspoon for your spoonfuls, and leave two inches around each cookie. Bake for 8-9 minutes, or until edges are light brown. Enjoy!
P.S. Chocolate chip cookies are even better when coupled with a glass of wine - I like Red Bicyclette. It has a really cute logo too.
3. Pink Cheeks - Perfect for date nights (and days!) and spring time. They make me think of angels and cherubs. I use Benefit's Dandelion and Smashbox's Prism, but there are so many great pink blushes available....
4. Things that make me think of spring - Open windows, a new deck, roses, daffodils....We had another snow day today (actually it was more like a snow afternoon). I love the snow, but I'll be excited when we can turn off the heat and open the windows. We're getting a new deck this spring, so we spent Saturday afternoon moving my beloved rose bushes to make room for it. I hope the poor roses survive this cold weather and their relocation... 5. The Long Bob - I've been wearing my hair long and wavy since last spring. It's an easy, good-for-my-hair look because I don't dry it all the way, and I rarely touch my straightening iron. Good for my hair, yes, but does it make me look good? Probably not so much, so I finally decided to get it cut. I really like Gwyneth's hair, so I thought why not? After all, a good cut is good for your hair, right? By the way, it's pretty versatile as well - I can wear it straight, wavy, and even in a very cute ponytail with only minor assistance from my hairclips. I plan to wear it straight one day and wavy the next... :)
What lovely things did you enjoy on Valentine's Day 2010?

2 comments:

  1. photo of your new cut, please! and you may have inspired us to put on some jazz with our late dinner. bill evans, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, all of those things are so lovely. I ditto Amber - I'd love to see photos of your new hair!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! It's making my day just a little bit brighter. :)