Pages

Saturday, January 30

Snow Day!

For the second time this year, Memphis has seen snow. For those of you who don't know the Bluff City that well, snow is a rare occurrence. If we're lucky, we'll get one decent snow (decent is 1-3 inches) per year. For the past two years, we've had two good snow days, and both of them happened in March. It's not common for us to get snow in January, but thank goodness it's not killing all of our spring flowers! All week long the weather forecasts reported that we would get snow and ice on Thursday night, but when we woke up on Friday morning, there wasn't anything on the ground. Shortly after six, the snow and ice finally started falling. By eight, there was a lot of accumulation. I had a dentist appointment in our neighborhood, so I ventured out to get my teeth cleaned. Although my dentist is about one minute from our house, I could barely see where I was going. It was crazy! After the dentist, I stopped in our neighborhood grocery store, which is straight out of 1955 and totally adorable, and then I came back home. I had several work projects with me, so I spent the day organizing photos and watching the mixture of snow and ice fall from the sky. It was a great way to spend a Friday. Fast forward to Saturday morning: the temperature isn't supposed to break freezing until Monday, so it seems like we'll be hibernating this weekend. I'm okay with that. It'll give us an excuse to do some organizing and hopefully some more blogging. :) Here are some photos from our snow day:
Friday morning. Look at those big flakes!! That's the Magnolia in our front yard. It's so pretty with snow on it.
Our street on Saturday morning. Peaceful.
Frozen Magnolia leaves. Another view from our front porch. One of my favorite sounds in the world? The sound of snow falling, especially at night. Sadly, I don't have any night photos.
Early Friday, before the snow had really started to accumulate on the grass. But look at the driveway and the street! Wow!
Porter in the snow/ice. He thinks he's a snow dog...
Our bird feeder with little icicles.
Icy branches. So pretty.
Icy monkey grass. When we moved into our house, we had monkey grass EVERYWHERE. This is all that remains, and it looks really nice with ice on it!
Want to know the weirdest thing about our snow day? It was 60 degrees last weekend. Yikes!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering the giveaway, good luck!! If you don't mind, I am going to follow along with your blog! Have a wonderful weekend!!
    xoxo~Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're here! :) Hope you have a great weekend too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! It's making my day just a little bit brighter. :)