Pages

Sunday, January 10

My Vintage Obsession

For as long as I can remember, I've always loved old things. As a child, I was crazy about the things my mom had loved as a child - her books, dolls, Barbie clothes (we have the most awesome flight attendant outfit you've ever seen, complete with tiny "wings"), her ballet recital costume - the list goes on. Lucky for me, my grandmother kept everything, so I was able to dig through boxes of old things every time we visited California. I remember it drove my mom and grandmother crazy, because I made a huge mess, but I loved it so much. When my grandmother passed away in 2003, these boxes of memories became a link to happier times. My mother, sister and I spent hours looking through letters, photos, buttons, baby shoes, Christmas ornaments... and began to realize that my grandmother had not only kept my mother's memories, but memories from her life and our lives as well. For us, these boxes are priceless. Without a doubt, my love affair with the past began at my grandmother's house in California in the late '80s, but it continues today. I think I enjoy old things because they really are our last link to the past, and I want to save them before they're gone forever. Yes, I'm obsessed. A lot of my postings will share these treasures that I've found. I hope they inspire you to seek out antique stores and find your own treasures, or at the very least, start haunting your own grandmother's house for some really great stuff. In most cases, vintage is prettier, cheaper and better made than anything you'll buy today, and it's eco-friendly too! What could be better than that? :) Here are some recent finds of the linen variety. I am in love with these pretty table linens, hand towels and pillow cases. You can usually find them for under $20 (score!), and they're so collectable. I'm always on the hunt for them. They're also the reason I want to learn to embroider....
I hope you enjoyed my first real vintage post! I'll leave you with my most recent find. I can't stop looking at it. It's so beautiful!
Yesterday we went to Flashback, the local "vintage department store," where I found this amazing purse for under $40. It's in perfect condition. I did some research on the Internet, and you can find similar styles in some of Etsy's shops if you like this look. I think it's very 1960's Jackie Kennedy. Jackie is one of my style icons, but that's a different post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! It's making my day just a little bit brighter. :)