Pages

Tuesday, January 19

Audrey

One of three Audreys on my jewelry armoire. I decoupaged this in college.
If you're an Audrey fan, I highly recommend Audrey Style by Pamela Clarke Keogh. It's a fun read.
Audrey's famous sunglasses and trench coat from Breakfast at Tiffany's. I'm not sure if this dress or the Sabrina dress is more famous, but I thought it was awesome when when Natalie Portman got to wear it on the cover of Harper's Bazaar a few years ago. What girl doesn't like to play dress up? Audrey and Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday. This outfit changed my closet forever.
Audrey on the set of Sabrina. This may be my favorite dress of all-time. I have yet to find the 2010 version of it...Perhaps it's time to start hunting for the 1950's version instead.
Audrey books and one of two Audrey posters in our home. Roman Holiday is the other one.
Audrey and Cat, as featured on my armoire.

Ah, fashion. I remember begging my mom to buy me my first Seventeen magazine when I was in the sixth grade. That was the year I started following the real-world trends, and bell bottom jeans, plastic purses, and Airwalk tennis shoes were all the rage (oh yes, I radiated coolness - ha!). After 24 months of trying to be a fashion plate, I finally began to realize that trendy didn't fit my personality. Luckily for me, it was about that time that I discovered my favorite movie, Roman Holiday. Audrey basically wore three outfits in that movie, but it wasn't really even about the clothes (although her white blouse, skirt and leather sandals were pretty fabulous). It was her simple, classic look and her timelessness that inspired me. Almost overnight, I stopped shopping at Gadzooks, and began "investing" in my wardrobe by picking up items from Gap and Banana Republic. Those little investments have paid off - twelve years later, my closet is filled with lots of similar looking clothes, but believe it or not, I still wear quite a few items I bought at BR back in high school.

So what is it about Audrey that makes her such a fashion icon? Could be that everything she wore in Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Funny Face and Breakfast at Tiffany's could be worn today. Or that a twenty-five-year-old or a fifty-five-year-old could borrow her outfits, and neither of them would look silly. Her style was about the little details - the fur hat, the black sunglasses, the pearls, the turtleneck...everything was elegant, polished and just right. And perhaps the best part about her look is that Audrey loved fashion. She and her life-long friend, Hubert de Givenchy, worked together to create these timeless looks for her movies. They created fashion magic that generations of fashion designers and women have borrowed over and over and over again.

My closet is eternally grateful...

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. Audrey simply can't be touched as far as style muses go - she was amazing. I think you've perfectly expressed what was special about her style!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! It's making my day just a little bit brighter. :)