Pages

Tuesday, December 22

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

It's not a secret that Christmas is our favorite time of year. Jonathan and I begin our Christmas season long before most sane people, usually around the 15th of November, and we continue our festivities until the first week of January. We just can't get enough of it. I'm a firm believer that one can't be in a bad mood when they have their family around them, Bing Crosby on the record player, cookies in the oven and twinkling lights in every room of the house.
As this is our second Christmas in our home, we were excited about decorating, but with the economic situation, we were also feeling sensible. We put up our wedding tree (one of two trees used for decorations during our wedding ceremony two years ago), complete with loads of ornaments, most of which were gifted to us by my Mom three years ago. I can honestly say there isn't any room on our tree thanks to her. She gave us tons of ornaments. Some were new ones (I'm especially fond of our Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy ornaments), but many of them belonged to my grandmother and great-grandmother. I love them most of all because they're our family treasures. I look forward to passing them down to my children one day.
In addition to all of those ornaments are the first ornaments that Jonathan and I bought in December 2004 for our first little tree in Oxford. Although we were dating in 2003, we'd only been "official" for a month, so our first real Christmas as a couple was 2004. That year we bought some cheap ball ornaments and decorated them with glue and glitter. We have balls with all kinds of designs and words (among them "Ole Miss," "Oliver," "2004" and "Love"). Amazingly enough, they still look just as good as they did five years ago. Boy, did we make a mess making them!
Besides our big tree, we also have two little trees. One used to belong in my office when I worked at Chandler Ehrlich Advertising, and now it looks very cute on the dresser in our guest bedroom. The other tree is a new addition this year. It's a little bigger than my CEC tree, and it's covered in my Shiny Brite ornaments, all of which I purchased at antique malls this fall. In case you don't know about Shiny Brites, let me share -- Shiny Brites are the first American Christmas balls. Apparently all ball ornaments came from Germany prior to World War II, and when the war began, a saavy American businessman decided to make Christmas ornaments in the U.S. The WWII balls didn't include the metal cap because of the metal shortage, but the ornaments that were made following WWII did. That's how you know the age of your Shiny Brites. Sadly, the company closed in the early 1960s when plastic ornaments (shutter) became popular, but they can be found on Ebay and at many antique malls. I was fortunate to find tons of these pretty colored balls in their original boxes. They are so pretty, and their faded colors make my tree look so Charlie Brown-esque. I love it!
In addition to trees, we have a garland and lights at the top of our large built in bookcase in our living room, and a small village in our dining room. The only room (besides the bathroom and kitchen) without decorations is the sun room. I don't think Porter (our crazy Labrador) is quite ready for Christmas decorations. He's too crazy. I hope the description of our decorations is enough for now. I've had a terrible time getting my photos from my new camera onto my computer so for the time being, words and old photos will have to do the trick! :) Top Photo: Our 2008 Christmas tree. It's now located in the hallway, well out of reach of Porter's sunroom.
Bottom Photo: Our wedding kiss on December 15, 2007. Notice our wedding tree in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment for me! It's making my day just a little bit brighter. :)